Housing Disrepair Claims – Claim Compensation for Mould

Please note that if you are a private tenant, we are unable to help you

Read Our Clients’ Reviews

Amraanay Hashi

The staff are very understanding and professional. Highly recommended.

Joanna Conlon

Always there to talk things through when needed.

Toni Murray

Very pleased with the service , the chap who was dealing with me was great advised me well thanx Harry

Justin Daniel

Very good helped me with my claim.

ijaz Chaudhry

My case was dealt by MUSTAFA found him very helpful and PROFISSIONAL all the way to start till finish….


Have you complained to your Council or Housing Association about repairs that need to be carried out and your property is still not repaired? We assess all housing disrepair claims free of charge. We determine how successful a claim could be without you spending a penny! Therefore, if we believe you have a good case we will take on your claim on a no win no fee basis*Find out how we can help ensure your disrepair is fixed and recover any compensation due.

What are Housing Disrepair Claims?

Housing Disrepair means if the rented property where you live is in bad condition and it needs to repair. It’s your landlord’s responsibility to provide you with a suitable environment to live in. We have helped thousands of clients with their council housing disrepair claims. Achieving thousands of pounds in compensation for clients and making houses liveable again with high standard repair works. Therefore, we listen and care about your housing needs and deliver the results you deserve. We believe in ‘Justice for tenants’. That’s why we mainly try to fund claims on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

Reporting Your Landlord

Know Your Rights

As a tenant in England, you have certain rights and protections under the law. The rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants are outlined in various pieces of legislation

Gather Evidence

Before reporting your landlord, gather as much evidence as possible to support your claim and version of events.

Report Your Landlord:

Who you report your Landlord to will depend on the nature of the problem you are experiencing:

Local Council, Housing Ombudsman, Citizens Advice, Legal Action

Is the Council not Repairing your house?

If you are a Council tenant or a Housing Association Tenant and they have ignored repairs to your house, we can help! 

The Council and any Housing Association has a legal obligation to you as a Landlord under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. If they fail to repair you home within a reasonable time then you have the right to get help from Solicitors like us and take legal action.

You will be able to claim compensation and force them to perform the necessary repairs. If the disrepair has caused you health problems then you will also be able to claim compensation for the health issues.

Can I claim back rent for disrepair to my house?

The short answer is yes. You get this back as a form of compensation. If your rented house or flat that was in disrepair then you were probably not able to enjoy your home to the full extent that you paid for. Therefore, depending on how long the disrepair is going on and how severe it is you can get some of your rent back. 

However, your landlord will not pay you willingly and you may need to get solicitors involved. Even if some rent if offered you may be getting underpaid as calculating the level of compensation you should get is complicated and expert evidence is needed.

What can I do if my Landlord will not repair my house?

Are your complaints being ignored by your Landlord, Housing Association or the Council?

 If your Landlord is not doing the repairs that your property needs then you may have a claim. It can be frustrating if your Landlord is just not answering your requests and all your calls are being ignored it may feel that your Landlord has refused to repair your property. Just give us a call if your Landlord wont repair your property and we can get you started with a claim.

Can I claim Compensation if my Landlord is not repairing my house?

If you STILL LIVE IN THE PROPERTY and you have REPORTED your repair to your local council or housing association landlord which still hasn’t been fixed after 3 MONTHS, you can claim compensation and a refund of rent*. We operate on a NO WIN NO FEE basis.

However, your landlord will not pay you willingly and you may need to get solicitors involved. Even if some rent if offered you may be getting underpaid as calculating the level of compensation you should get is complicated and expert evidence is needed.

Will it cost me money if I make a claim?

No, We work on a No Win No Fee Basis

Do I have to live in England to make a claim?

We help clients nationally but we can only represent you if you live in in England or Wales. We are based in Manchester but we help tenants all around the England, from London to Leeds, Liverpool or Birmingham. We work remotely and are always available for a chat. Call us on 0161 549 1890 for more free advice!

What is housing disrepair?

In summary, it puts an obligation on a landlord to keep in repair & proper working order:

The structure and exterior of the dwelling house, including drains gutters and external pipes.

The installations of the dwelling-house that supply water, gas, electricity and sanitation (which includes basins, sinks, bath and sanitary fittings)

Housing disrepair is bound in section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, and implied into all tenancies of less than seven years.

The landlord is obliged to keep ‘the installations in the dwelling-house’ in repair and working order. This includes installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, heating and hot water. Water or gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators and other space heating. Where an installation is centralised, e.g. in high rise block, then tenants with tenancies entered into after 15 January 1989 are protected with repairing obligations covering centralised systems. The same is not true of those prior to this date.

How to Report my Landlord?

Is your Landlord ignoring you and not repairing your property? 

Sometimes, this may be a health risk if your house is in disrepair. You may have rising damp and mold in your house which can cause certain illnesses or make your existing illness worse, such as asthma and eczema.

This can fall under the Environmental Protection Act and a complaint can be made to your council. They can potentially bring a criminal action against your landlord but you will need to speak to a solicitor to help you get compensation.
The council is usually very busy so it may take a long time for them to take any kind of action.
If your council is the landlord you can still complain but it is always best to speak to a solicitor especially when it is free. 

Can I get compensation for Damp and Mould in my house?

You could potentially be entitled to get compensation for damp and mould in your home if your landlord has failed to fix the problem.

You can get compensation for the loss of enjoyment your flat or house. The more rooms that are affected means that the problem is severe so you would be entitled to more compensation. Sometimes the damp and mould will ruin your personal belongings such as your rug, wallpaper, clothes or bedding. You can claim for this too and if you have missed out on work and can prove this then there is a potential claim for loss of earnings too. 

Your compensation will depend on the severity, extent and length of the problem. The amount of rent you pay will also be taken into consideration. So if you are in arrears this could reduce any compensation you get as you are still obligated to pay your rent even if it is in disrepair..

Use our housing disrepair compensation calculator to give you a rough guide of how much you should be entitled to. This is not only a compensation calculator for mould but also for other disrepair problems you may have. 

How long should I wait for my Landlord to fix my problem

 The short answer is a reasonable time. This is usually about two months. Every case is obviously different but if your landlord has not fixed or even attempted to fix your house or flat then you should seek legal help. We can only help you if you have complained to your landlord 2 months ago and they have not started repairs.

How long will my claim take?

This will depend on your case as everyone’s is different. It could take anywhere from 2 – 6 months for a straightforward case and over 12 months if we have to take your case to the courts.

Damaged Windows

Or Doors

Damaged Roof

Defective Guttering




Structural Defects

Why Choose Us?

Experienced Solicitors

We specialize in representing tenants whose landlords fail to make needed repairs

No Win No Fee

Get Repairs Done and Get Rent Back

Free Phone Consultation

Don’t wait! Contact us for a free phone consultation. 

Start Your Claim Now

Fill in our form and we can get you started on your claim.

HelpDisrepair.com is a trading name of Nazokkar Legal Services Limited. Nazokkar Legal Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Please visit www.nlsuk.co.uk for more information. For our Complaints procedure click here.