Reporting Your Landlord

Before taking any action, it’s crucial to understand your rights as a tenant in England. The rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants are outlined in various pieces of legislation, including the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, the Housing Act 2004, and the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, among others.

By knowing your rights, gathering evidence, and reporting the issue to the appropriate authorities, you can take action to protect yourself and ensure that your landlord fulfils their obligations. Remember that you have the right to live in a safe and habitable property, and don’t hesitate to seek support if you need it.

Procedure to Report your Landlord

Know Your Rights

Some of the key rights you have as a tenant include:

  1. Right to a Safe and Habitable Property: Your landlord must ensure the property is safe, habitable, and free from hazards.
  2. Right to Repairs: Your landlord is responsible for maintaining the property, including structure, heating, plumbing, and sanitation.
  3. Right to Quiet Enjoyment: You have the right to live without undue interference from your landlord.
  4. Protection from Unfair Eviction: Your landlord cannot evict you without following legal procedures, such as obtaining a court order.

Gather Evidence

Before reporting your landlord, gather evidence to support your claim. This may include:

  • Written correspondence with your landlord documenting the issue
  • Photographs or videos of the problem
  • Witness statements from neighbours or other tenants
  • Copies of your tenancy agreement and any relevant legislation

Report Your Landlord:

Who you report your Landlord to will depend on the nature of the problem you are experiencing:

  • Local Council: Report property disrepair or hazards to your local council’s housing department as they have the power to take enforcement action.
  • Housing Ombudsman: If you’ve exhausted other avenues, you can escalate your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman. They impartially investigate complaints and can provide assistance in resolving disputes.
  • Citizens Advice: Seek free, impartial advice from Citizens Advice or local housing rights organizations if unsure of your rights or how to proceed.
  • Legal Action: Consider legal action against your landlord, we may be able to help on a No Win No Fee basis.

If you are looking for more free advice or want to see if we can take you claim on a no win no fee basis, please contact us on the number below of just send us an online enquire using the below form and we will get back to you the same day.